Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Proverbs 4:24 "Judging Properly"

      Once again, I would suggest reading the whole chapter. Proverbs is a great book to go through every month. Simply read a chapter a day and you'd be surprised how much will stick with you!

      Solomon, for the majority of Proverbs, addresses the reader as "son." In Proverbs 4:20-27 he is offering advice as to how to live in wisdom so that it will stick. Something that isn't usually emphasized in the home. Often times I find myself not wanting to do something because it is morally wrong. However, I believe it to be more valid to have the outlook of Solomon (a.k.a. a pretty wise dude). He talks about pondering the paths of your feet (v. 26) and  the words you speak.

Proverbs 4:23 (ESV)
"Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk far from you."

      Crooked is defined as when something is "not straight" or even "dishonest." When we think of bad talk we think slander, maybe gossip. Being discouraging or even lying, but do we think about the times we've corrected someone in the wrong manner or setting? Some would label this as "judging." This was something that was frowned upon while I was growing up. The thought of someone "calling you out" on what you did the night after you were singing the name of Jesus was just rude! I definitely did not enjoy being the one who was the leader in youth group and yet sought every opportunity to put myself above those around me. It was and is a harsh reality that we live in.

      The truth is, without this whole "calling out process" the body of Christ would be stagnant. Constantly we as the body of Christ are dealing with personal or communal struggles. Be it insincere worship in a church service, or watching inappropriate things on our own time. If my sins were not called out by a believing brother of mine, then I would have no way of growing. I would find it difficult to repent! This is one of the things I love about being in BYX (a Christian fraternity on my college campus). I am surrounded by solid guys who care so much about my relationship with Christ that they would ask the hard questions. The probing questions that used to grind my gears.

      Back to the Bible though. Crooked speech isn't just these negative things. Obviously, judging can be done in a wrong fashion. If you see one of your believing brothers/sisters drinking at a party it's probably not a good idea to grab the closest bullhorn and start rebuking the person. In fact, I'd bet he/she would be far more impacted and appreciative of a personal and sincere conversation. The Bible talks about judging properly. People so often refer to the whole, "Do not judge, lest you be judged." We've all heard it a million times. Here's a good verse I hadn't heard until just recently: "For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. 'Purge the evil person from among you.'” (1 Corinthians 5:12-13). So here we find it is our job as followers of Christ to judge those inside the Church. God will judge those outside. 


     Brothers and sisters, it's time we all watched out for each other. It is not often someone calls themselves out for their own sin. Put all pride aside and speak in love and with patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment