Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Christian Service

   "You have to go on an over-seas mission trip" is a phrase I have heard so much growing up in the Christian culture. I never really questioned the statement, but I have felt a bit uneasy about it being said. I wanted to address this idea of "Christian service" because, for one thing, I've read a few verses in the past month that have made me think about what I often define "Christian service" to be. Also, I want people to know that the Church is a body of broken individuals that will ultimately fail, but will be fully restored when Christ comes.
   The ultimate embodiment of Christian service is Christ. He is the ultimate burden-bearer. Not only did he take on the sins of all mankind, he also took the burden of the law to the cross. His resurrection proves that the debt we have to the law is fully paid. With this being said, I want to talk about what I have experienced in the body of Christ as it pertains to service. 
   I'd like to start with mission trips. I've been out of the country twice. Once to Jamaica and once to Greece (it was stellar). This does not make me any better than the next person, but when I went to Jamaica I thought it did. I wouldn't have told anyone that, but it wasn't a matter of my head. It was a matter of my heart. God taught me a multitude of things on that trip. In fact, I remember being moved to the point of tears at one point because of how overwhelmed I was by the state of Jamaica. However, for me to think that would only happen outside of America was foolish. I am able to serve in my church, at school, even in other states. 
   People often say that the US has had its chance. That we need to focus on other countries now. I say that we have done a good job of telling people about the gospel, but not living it. The Church is in pieces. We are filled with pride, gluttony, selfishness, and self-righteousness. Again, the Church is built up of broken individuals, so we can only wait until Christ comes; however, this does not mean we can't be sanctified (become like Christ) as a body. We just need to give Christ our utmost. Let's look at some Scripture truth.
   In the past month I've been studying the book of Galatians. The epistles are a great place to spend time in as a pastor* because they're written to church bodies. We need to be constantly assessing our church bodies using Scripture. Here are a couple verses I'd like to focus on (please take time to check the context):

Galatians 6:10
Matthew 8: 21-22
   
   Galatians 6 was really what got me thinking a lot about service among Christians. Paul says we need to do good to others, ESPECIALLY to our brothers and sisters in Christ. As with our earthly family, we do not choose the members. Our love is to be unconditional, thus doing good to all of the Church. Paul does not say we aught to neglect the non-believer, but he doesn't say so about the believer either. In earlier verses, Paul talks about how the "spiritual" need to guide those caught in sin. The "spiritual" are those who are more mature in their walk. How does the Church do this? Through discipleship, small groups, retreats, etc. But it shouldn't stop there! We need to be actively pursuing those who are a part of Christ all the time, not just at certain times. 
   In our day and age we have baptists, presbyterians, methodists, and the list continues. My brothers and sisters aren't just those affiliated with my theology or denomination. If they are then I'm not identifying myself with Christ. Instead, I'm claiming myself as a member of a certain section of the faith. Have fellowship with all believers; do good to all! In this, we sharpen one another and goad each other toward maturity in Christ! COOL BEANS!
   In Matthew 8:21-22 Jesus explains the cost of following him. I'd like to focus more on the "servant-hood" aspect of his statement. After one of Jesus' followers basically asks Jesus to wait for him, Jesus says something I perceive to be rather harsh, but, nevertheless, very true. He tells the man to let the dead bury the dead. 
   When we put our faith in Christ, we become members of the Kingdom of Heaven. The treasure awaiting those who believe is great, but it costs us our lives. Those of us who believe are now members of an eternal kingdom and their allegiance is to this kingdom alone. Our service is no longer to the world, we are God's children. The Kingdom comes before friends, family, and anything else apart from it. We are to focus on things of eternity so we can reap what we sow. (In order to reap eternity we must sow eternal things). 
   What is the Kingdom? It's Heaven, and we are surrounded by a good amount of it's citizens. Christian service is service to the Kingdom of God. That's it. Pretty neat, huh?




*I am not a pastor, simply a college student.

No comments:

Post a Comment